14 January 2007

Job Update

I will most likely be losing my job. I have been working for the same company for just under 8 years. A few years ago I decided to go to college. I went to school part time while working full time for several years, taking one or two classes each semester. Two years ago I started going to school full time & I dropped down to part time at work. This academic year is my last year of undergrad. I only needed 4 classes, one seminar and two credits of research to graduate so I started back at work full time this summer & planned on taking two classes and one research credit each semester. When I was promoted to my current full time position last summer they KNEW that I was a college student & that I would be going to school and would not have open availability. It was fine last semester and all of a sudden there's a problem. To make matter worse my position was eliminated and the new position that is replacing it requires open availability, which I don't have. My boss actually told me that if I wanted to keep my job I needed to drop out of school. I have been at this way too long to stop now, then end is in sight! I only have two classes, one seminar and one credit of research left. I feel really selfish but I have put my job before school many times over the past few years. There were a few semesters that I withdrew from school completely, even if I lost my tuition, because they needed more help at work. My boss is trying to pull strings to I can be full time split between two locations with the same pay rate, but it doesn't look good.

The Good:
  • They will give me two weeks notice before they lay me off.
  • I can take the Latin class that I was really interested in but couldn't take because I needed to work on Thursdays.
  • They won't fight fight my unemployment so I will have some cash flow until I can find another job.
  • They will put me in as eligible for rehire if I want to go back after graduation (ha!).
  • I will have more free time since this semester will be the most difficult semester I've ever had.
  • More time to visit graduate schools and focus on applications.
  • I can get a part time job on campus, which, when combined with my unemployment, will bring in almost what I'm used to making.
  • Weekends off for the first time in my life so I can drive up and down the east coast to go visit our donor.
The Bad:
  • NO job.
  • No free movie rentals.
  • Accepting handouts from the government.
  • No time to start job hunting because the semester starts Tuesday.
Can you tell I'm trying to convince myself that this isn't an absolutely terrible thing?

No comments: