02 August 2006

First Things First

So....who am I and what am I up to? I am in my late 20s; I've been happily partnered to R for the past 8 years; I will forever be the perpetual student; I'm a dog lover with cats because R is a cat person; what else, I also have a biological clock that would put Big Ben to shame. R and I have discussed having kids many times over the past 8 years. I knew from the very beginning that I wanted to have a family with her. The talks about kids have gotten progressively more and more serious over the past few years. We picked out a donor, talked about who would get pregnant first, and picked out names but none of it seemed real. It was always something that we would do when we finally graduated from college, when we had better jobs, when we had a larger house. There was always something that we needed to accomplish before we could really start thinking about a family. I always told R that if we waited until everything was perfect, we'd never start a family because perfection didn't exist. She still wanted to wait a little longer. That all changed on 19 June 06. I had been out of town and was driving back to PA when R called to tell me that she was finally ready to start a family. I was so happy that I cried. I dove right in and started thinking about everything that we would need. Lots of reading, research, and shopping. Three of my favorite things!

1 comment:

Estelle said...

Wow. She just randomly called you and told you she wanted a baby? Cool!
We were the same way... though we tried without success (or with losses) numerous times and had pretty much called it quits. Then out of the blue one day I also just said to her "let's have a baby" and 2 months later, baby was on the way!
May your journey be short and sweet!