02 August 2006

pV=nRT

OK, if you haven't figured it out yet...I'm a big dork. I get excited over things like new graphing calculators. I'm not kidding. So of course, I think of things in equations, being a Chemistry major the ideal gas law comes to mind when thinking about all the pressure we're under.
If p = pressure, V = very excited family, T = time spent waiting, R = a constant (in this case, the love of my life) & n = the number of tries, then the external pressure increases as the time and number of tries increases. This pressure is shared by the number of very excited family members. Looking at the equation the pressure should be 0 because we haven't even started trying. But no!
I've been lurking on other lesbian TTC blogs & message boards for months. There are many couples who haven't told their families because they don't think they would approve. Lots of pronouns in that sentence, sorry. We have exactly the opposite problem. Our families, mine especially, have been pressuring us for years to start a family. I think mine is more excited that R's because I'm the oldest & R is the youngest. She has an older sibling that has already provided the 1st grandchild in her family. Being the oldest, there are no grandchildren to occupy my parents. I see the twinkle in my dad's eye when one of his friends brings out photos of his grandkids. At my dad's 50th birthday party he announced that he wanted grandchildren and the rest of the family started bugging me about it. Distant relatives that I hadn't seen in years wanted to know when I was starting a family, who would carry the 1st baby, etc. My mother keeps hinting that she really wants a granddaughter, even going so far as to say that she's jealous of her friends with grandkids. She also told me that our eggs weren't getting any younger and started spouting statistics about how much fertility decreases after age 30. The pressure isn't just coming from my parents. My siblings all want R & me to start a family first and fast. We're not the only ones being pressured. My step-sister is a few years older than me and she thinks if we would hurry up and provide the 1st grandchild it would take pressure off of her. My grandmother is the sweetest though. She's nearing 90 and knows that I want to name my first daughter after her. Last winter she took me aside and said that she was getting older, probably only had "10 or 15 good years left" and wanted me to hurry up so she could see Evelyn born. I was more impressed with the fact that she thinks she'll be around another 10-15 years. One of the many reasons that I want to honor her by naming my daughter after her; she has an incredibly positive outlook on life.
So long story short, our families don't know we're trying. We don't want to take them along on this rollercoaster. We also don't want constant calls to see if R has gotten her period this month, asking who the donor is (he wishes to remain anonymous until the child is old enough to ask questions), how many times we're trying, etc. The pressure we're getting is enough just as it is!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

That's the same reason I kept it quiet with my family. I knew I couldn't bear the phone calls every month asking if I was pregnant. It was a whole lot more fun when we sprung "we're pregnant" on them when they weren't expecting it.