08 February 2007

Crossroads

I don't know what to do with the rest of my life. I graduate in May with my BS in Chemistry. The chemistry degree sort of fell in my lap. I wasn't sure what I wanted to do as an undergrad either. I was originally a math major because (don't hate me) I was really good at math. Math didn't excite me at all. I took a chemistry class because I had to take a science class with a lab and really enjoyed it so I changed my major. If I were to stick with chemistry I would eventually like to be a professor. I worry that I won't be able to find a job in my field, or that I would have to move my family around too much. According to my adviser, the job market for professors is pretty tight right not. A lot of schools are hiring adjuncts or part timers in lieu of full time tenure track positions.
I have also thought about going to medical school but wonder if I'm getting too much of a late start. Could I go to medical school and (G-d willing) have a new baby at home? If I went to medical school I would want to be an OB/GYN. I've also thought about going to nursing school, specifically a program to be a certified nurse midwife. I'd have to do an alternate entry program since I will have a BS in chemistry, not nursing.
Basically, all I do know right now is that I probably won't be going to grad school in the fall. I have waited (procrastinated, avoided making a decision, etc.) too long and most of the application deadlines have passed. There is one PhD chem program, one BSN/MSN midwifery program, and one MS chem program that I'm applying to. They all have rolling admissions and admit people until the programs are full, or they run out of TA/GA positions. Maybe we'll let the admissions boards decide what I will do with the rest of my life. They are in three different states. R is willing to move where ever I get into grad school. I love her.
I wish I could just job shadow for a few weeks to see what I want to do. They did that for us in high school & I didn't go because I couldn't pick a field. I have always been indecisive. Mostly because I worry too much. I worry that I won't be able to support my family. I worry that taking 5 years off between high school and college will haunt me for the rest of my life. I worry that I'll go through years of education and end up hating my career. Damn, I really do worry too much...

No comments: