07 February 2007

Photo Friday: My Favorite Place

My favorite place is Holden Beach, NC. My family went there when we I was young. R and I started renting a house for one week each summer a few years ago. We wanted to save money for baby makin' and didn't go last year. I never imagined I would have missed it as much as I did. It was my week of sanity. I took classes over the summer and winter breaks every year until 2006. For three years there were only three weeks a year where I didn't have school: the week of Christmas, Spring Break, and one week in August after the last of three summer sessions and the start of the fall semester. That was my beach week. We always rented a house where you just had to walk off the front porch onto the beach. Holden is a turtle sanctuary so it is incredibly peaceful. There's no boardwalk or annoying amusement parks. There are no street lights or lights of any kind allowed on the beach. There's not even a traffic light on the island. There are a few realty offices, restaurants, a convenience store, and a pier. You have to drive over the bridge to get to a grocery store, mini golf, an ice cream parlor, and, in case of rain (always a possibility when you go in the height of hurricane season), a movie rental store. I've always thought of Holden as a great family beach. Maybe by summer 2008 we'll have a family to take with us.

R took this photo of me. She was standing at the water and looking up towards the house. I love to sit under my umbrella (a girl has to take care of her skin) and read. I could sit out there forever. I usually read at least a book a day when we are staying there. Impromptu naps on the beach are also fun!





This is a photo I took of R. I was under my umbrella and looking down at her.

No comments: